1/1 Photo of Rio Grande Valley Style Carne Guisada
2 hrs 15 mins
This TexMex beef stew recipe was adapted from the recipe used by Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen, a popular Houston restaurant. I add one chopped jalapeno pepper with the green bell pepper (not listed below), and serve it with a mound of mexican rice (like #41167) in the bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs round steaks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Cube meat (about 1"), removing all fat and gristle.
- 2Sear meat in oil.
- 3Add water and cook on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Toast cumin seeds in a small sauté skillet on medium-high until they begin to smoke slightly.
- 5Grind the hot cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- 6Add oregano, ground toasted cumin, black pepper, salt and garlic to the meat.
- 7Add vegetables (bell pepper, onion and tomato) and continue to cook about 30 minutes.
- 8Add tomato sauce, chili powder and paprika.
- 9Continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- 10While the meat is simmering, heat 2 tbsp oil in a small sauté pan and add flour over medium-low heat.
- 11Stir the flour and oil constantly until the flour turns a light golden brown (roux).
- 12Add the roux to the meat and continue to simmer for about another 30 minutes.
- 13Serve carne guisada with rice and beans and flour or corn tortillas.
- 14Note: can speed the cooking time by using a pressure cooker.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rio Grande Valley Style Carne Guisada
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.7
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 124.1 mg
- Sodium 1170.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 36.8 g