Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is posted for the ZWT 2006. I have not tried this recipe and it is compliments of www.recipegoldmine.com
- 4 medium pink grapefruit (or large) or 4 medium red grapefruits (or large)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups water or 1 3⁄4 cups grapefruit juice, strained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry gelatin
- pie crust, baked
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Peel grapefruit, separate sections (see **NOTE**), and remove from membranes.
- Place sections in a strainer over a bowl overnight.
- Cook sugar, juice, cornstarch and salt until thick and clear.
- Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Brush gelatin mixture over pie crust.
- Chill gelatin mixture and crust.
- When gelatin starts to thicken, add grapefruit sections.
- Pour into pie crust and chill until set.
- Top with whipped cream.
- The grapefruit should be sectioned lengthwise. By slicing the ends off, the fruit can be set flat on the cutting board to make it easier to slice the rind off lengthwise. Use a small, sharp knife to then remove the sections from the membranes.