Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe Courtesy Rachael Ray
RIO GRANDE RUB STEAKS
- 4 (8 -10 ounce) sirloin strip steaks, 1-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons a palmful ground ancho chilies or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons a palmful ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into 4 thick slices
- extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, to coat
CRACKED CORN AND CHEESE SQUARES
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix, mixed to package directions
- softened butter, to grease baking dish
- 1⁄3 lb monterey jack cheese or 1⁄3 lb monterey jack pepper cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, sliced
- about 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- coarse salt
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- RIO GRANDE RUB STEAKS:.
- Let steaks rest from refrigerator for a few minutes to take the chill off.
- Preheat grill pan or indoor electric grill to high heat. Combine spice rub ingredients: Ancho chile, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Rub spice blend into steaks.
- Coat sliced red onion with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steaks and onion slices 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Let meat stand 5 minutes for juices to redistribute. Season steaks with salt. Top with separated rings of red onions. Serve with hot Cracked Cornbread and Cheese Squares and Mexican Salad.
- CRACKED CORN AND CHEESE SQUARES:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter. Stir cheese, corn, and scallions into packaged mixed corn muffin batter.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake at 400°F until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Yield: 4+ servings.
- MEXICAN SALAD:.
- Cut avocados in half, working around the pit. Separate the 2 halves. Remove the pit and scoop out avocado flesp with a spoon. Wedge avocados in a pile in the center of a large plater. Seed the wedge tomatoes and arrange around the avocados. Spread slices onion over platter. Sprinkle platter with cilantro. Squeeze the juice of 2 limes evenly over vegetables. Season with coarse salt, drizzle platter with oil and serve.
- Yield: 4 servings.