Leslie in Texas's Note:
These fajita-filled burritos are covered with a creamy and slightly spicy chile sauce. From a January 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in its "The Weekday Cook" section. The recipe can be doubled or tripled easily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces skirt steaks or 8 ounces flank steaks
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas (I prefer corn) or 4 (8 inch) corn tortillas (I prefer corn)
- 1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Grease 9-inch square baking pan.
- 3Rub both sides of steak with garlic and cumin, then with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and lime juice; let stand while preparing peppers.
- 4Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add onion and cook until beginning to brown, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes.
- 6Add chiles and peppers and stir until until heated through.
- 7Add cream, then 3/4 cup cheese, and stir until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- 8Add oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over high heat.
- 10Season steak with salt and pepper and cook until brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side for very rare.
- 11Transfer meat to work surface and halve across width, then cut against grain into thin slices.
- 12Hold tortillas over gas burner on low or place on electric burner on low until heated through, about 15 seconds per side.
- 13Place on work surface and spoon 1/4 cup pepper mixture down center.
- 14Top with 1/4 of meat and roll up tortilla, enclosing filling.
- 15Arrange in baking pan, seam side down.
- 16Repeat with remaining tortillas, 3/4 cup pepper mixture and meat.
- 17Spoon remaining pepper mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- 18(Can be assembled 2 hours ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate.).
- 19Bake uncovered (covered if burritos were refrigerated) until cheese melts and burritos are warmed through, about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rio Grande Beef Burritos With Creamed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (598 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1273.8
- Calories from Fat 728
- Total Fat 80.9 g
- Saturated Fat 35.8 g
- Cholesterol 211.8 mg
- Sodium 2566.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 60.9 g