Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A heartwarming comfort meal from New England. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 473.18 ml cooked tomatoes (canned is fine)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 226.79 g American cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Melt the butter and cook onion until soft and translucent, but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar; heat thoroughly.
- Add the cheese and cook until melted, stirring constantly.
- Add egg slowly, stirring constantly for one minute more.
- Serve on hot buttered toast.