Recipe by mollypaul
A heartwarming comfort meal from New England. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 cups cooked tomatoes (canned is fine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 lb American cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and cook onion until soft and translucent, but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar; heat thoroughly.
- Add the cheese and cook until melted, stirring constantly.
- Add egg slowly, stirring constantly for one minute more.
- Serve on hot buttered toast.