Recipe by LikesItHot
A basic, mustard based hot sauce recipe using habanero peppers, that can be tailored to be extremely hot for braver souls or more mild for the sane folks out there. Goes well with anything, especially fried chicken or fish.
- 12 habanero peppers, deseeded and washed. (For a milder sauce, use 8 habaneros.)
- 2⁄3 cup mustard (any standard yellow mustard works)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄8 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- When ready, add the deseeded peppers, sauteing lightly, 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove peppers from heat, put in blender, add remaining ingredients.
- First, set mixture to "chop" until well chopped, then switch to liquefy or similar setting until well blended. This typically should be about 2 and a half to 3 minutes.
- Empty mixture into the sauce pan, bring to a medium boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Carefully transfer to your storage container.