Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Throw together a generic meatloaf with fresh veggies that you have leftover in the fridge, mold it into a ring, plop some 'taters in the middle, and voila! Dinner is served!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 20 saltine crackers, crushed well
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup cut up celery
- 1⁄2 cup minced red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- tomato ketchup, to taste
Garlic Mashed Potatoes (for center)
- 1 lb red potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk (add more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fill large saucepan with water & pinch of salt. Put on high heat to boil.
- In large bowl, combine all meatloaf ingredients (except for ketchup) - Mix well with your hands.
- When water is boiling, add peeled potatoes. Boil potatoes for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Place meatloaf in shallow 2 quart baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Form mixture into a ring, leaving an open center. Top with ketchup, if desired.
- Bake meatloaf ring at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, drain cooked potatoes & place in medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well with mixer.
- Remove dish from oven when done. Spoon mashed potatoes into the open center of the dish.
- Return dish to oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Add a bit of italian herb seasoning & parsley flakes to top of potatoes when finished.
I've been looking for a generic meatloaf recipe using ingredients I already have on hand and this is it! This will be great for the weeks when we're running low on groceries and I need to throw something together for dinner.