Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
From Pillsbury bakeoff, winner in 1955 Bertha Jorgensen wowed the judges with her innovative yeast roll containing pecans-I haven't tried it yet but would love to, you can also use hazelnuts or almonds in place of the pecans
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup pecans, ground
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, orange peel and yeast, mix well.
- In small saucepan, heat milk and 1/3 cup butter until very warm.
- Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in remaining 2 to 2 1/2 cups of flour for form a stiff dough.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- Let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size (about 30-50 minutes).
- In small bowl, blend powdered sugar and 1/3 cup margarine to smooth.
- Stir in pecans, set aside.
- Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- Stir down dough to remove all air bubbles.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 22x12 inch rectangle.
- Spread filling mixture lenghtwise over half the dough.
- Fold dough over filling.
- Cut crosswise into 1 inch strips, twist each strip 4 to 5 times.
- To shape rolls, hold folded end of strip down on greased cookie sheet to form center and coil strip around it.
- Tuck loose end under.
- Repeat with remaining twisted strips.
- Cover, let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 30-45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Uncover dough
- Bake 9-12 minutes or until light and golden brown.
- Brush tops of rolls with glaze.
- Bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire rack, serve warm.
Delicious! We all LOVED this. Made the night before and covered with aluminum foil overnight. An awesome breakfast was waiting for us in the morning. Thanks for submitting!