1/3 Photos of Ring a Lings
2 hrs 15 mins
From Pillsbury bakeoff, winner in 1955 Bertha Jorgensen wowed the judges with her innovative yeast roll containing pecans-I haven't tried it yet but would love to, you can also use hazelnuts or almonds in place of the pecans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, orange peel and yeast, mix well.
- 2In small saucepan, heat milk and 1/3 cup butter until very warm.
- 3Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture.
- 4Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- 5By hand, stir in remaining 2 to 2 1/2 cups of flour for form a stiff dough.
- 6Place dough in a greased bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- 7Let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size (about 30-50 minutes).
- 8In small bowl, blend powdered sugar and 1/3 cup margarine to smooth.
- 9Stir in pecans, set aside.
- 10Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- 11Stir down dough to remove all air bubbles.
- 12On a floured surface, roll dough to 22x12 inch rectangle.
- 13Spread filling mixture lenghtwise over half the dough.
- 14Fold dough over filling.
- 15Cut crosswise into 1 inch strips, twist each strip 4 to 5 times.
- 16To shape rolls, hold folded end of strip down on greased cookie sheet to form center and coil strip around it.
- 17Tuck loose end under.
- 18Repeat with remaining twisted strips.
- 19Cover, let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 30-45 minutes.
- 20Heat oven to 375.
- 21Uncover dough
- 22Bake 9-12 minutes or until light and golden brown.
- 23Brush tops of rolls with glaze.
- 24Bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 25Immediately remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire rack, serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ring a Lings
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 22
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.5 mg
- Sodium 263.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g