Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs boneless beef rump roast
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Melt shortening in a Dutch oven.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Place the onions on top of the meat.
- Mix the flour and seasonings with 1/4 cup water.
- Blend with the tomatoes and add the mixture to the dutch oven.
- Bake at 325°F about 2 hours, until the meat is fork-tender.
- Serve with oven-browned potatoes.