Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 sandwich steaks or 4 roll steaks
- 2 teaspoons mustard, Dijon-style
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pickles, cut into long thin strips.
- 2 ounces salt pork or 2 bacon, cut into long thin strips
- 1 large onion, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth, Hot
- 4 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Lay steaks on a flat surface.
- Spread each with mustard; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Divide pickles, salt pork (or bacon), and onion among the steaks equally.
- Roll up steaks jelly-roll fashion; secure with beef-roll clamps, toothpicks, or thread.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, add the steak roll, and brown well on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Pour in hot beef broth, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove beef rolls, discard clamps, and arrange on a preheated platter.
- Blend cornstarch with a small amount of cold water, stir into gravy and bring to a boil.
- Boil until gravy is thick and bubbly.
- Correct seasonings and serve separately.