1/1 Photo of Rindergulasch (German Beef Goulash)
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 50 mins
A German version of beef goulash I acquired while living in Germany. Adapted from "Lieblings-Rezepte" and translated directly from the German.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb onion, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 lb thick bacon, finely chopped
- 2 1/8 lbs beef shoulder, cut into bite-sized chunks as for stew (trim any visable fat)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 1/8 cups beef broth
- 1 lemon, zest of,finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram, stemmed and finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- fresh cooked egg noodles or spaetzle noodles, to serve over
- 1In a large stewpot, heat the butter (or bacon grease or lard) until melted.
- 2Add the beef chunks in small portions and brown on all sides (but not cook all the way through yet);remove each batch as it browns to a covered dish and set aside for now.
- 3In the same pan, add the bacon, onion, and garlic and saute a few minutes until they begin to wilt and brown, maybe 5-10 minutes or so.
- 4Return the meat to the pan, and sprinkle with paprika.
- 5Whisk in the tomato paste until blended,stirring the whole time.
- 6Add just a little of the broth and bring to a boil,stirring.
- 7Repeat with a little more broth, after it boils, add the rest of the broth along with the lemon zest.
- 8Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let stew about 80 minutes.
- 9In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, add the diced peppers and the marjoram.
- 10Test for flavor now- adding as much salt& pepper as you prefer.
- 11TIP: If you like your peppers to be a little softer, just let it cook a little longer or add them a little sooner.
- 12Serve ladled over bowls of hot, buttered egg noodles or spaetlze.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rindergulasch (German Beef Goulash)
Serving Size: 1 (784 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.3
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.5 mg
- Sodium 1535.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: