Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
Oh, this is so good . Another recipe from my cookbook :)
Make and share this Rikki's Beef and Leeks recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 leeks, washed really good and cut into small strips (use only the white and light green parts of the leeks)
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock or 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Saute onions in oil and butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown.
- Add leeks, stock, mustard, salt and paprika.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15, stir often.
- Add half and half and simmer for about 2 more minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve over egg noodles.
I just made this because I had a bunch of leeks left over from another dish and wanted to use them up on a cool, fall evening. I thought this was very good!! I used the ground beef and chicken stock options, was sure to include tomato paste and used Dijon mustard. When I dished it up, I sprinkled just a tad of cinnamon. Soo yummy.
I am sorry to say that as written, this just didn't have much flavor for us. I doubled all of the seasonings and still didn't find that it was greatly improved. Thankfully, Hubby was late getting home and I was forced to improvise to keep dinner warm. I tossed the egg noodles with the beef mixture, stirred in more broth and some steak seasoning and plopped it into a warm oven to wait for his arrival. By the time Hubby made it home, the additional seasonings had melded through the dish, and it was a hearty dinner.
This was quite nice -- sort of a beef paprikash with leeks (which we love in anything!). Didn't have ground beef, so we made it with ground venison, and it was very yummy.