Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is a simplified version of the famous RIJSTTAFEL given to me by a friend from Holland where it is a very popular dish. Quite a lot of meat here so serve with fried rice, good party dish.
- 2 (3 lb) roasting chickens, skinned and cubed (reserve livers and hearts)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 cucumber, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons currants
- salt & pepper, for seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large pan and stir in the curry powder, add the chicken and brown it.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers, ginger and turmeric.Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken livers and hearts to the pan with the currants, cover with the stock. Cook till the meat is tender.
- Add the cucumber and lemon juice, cook till the cucumber is tender.
- In a small pan mix the flour and milk together, to make a paste. Strain the cooking liquid from the chicken onto the flour/milk mix and cook till thickened. If the mix is too thick, add a little milk.
- Add this to the chicken.
- Stir to combine the chicken and vegetables with the thickened stock and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fried rice.
Hi Brain! Hope u are doing good. I just wanted to say thanks to you. For so loong i have been searching for the rice table recipe. Thanks a ton for all the knowledgeable facts also that i grabbed from your site.
Brian, I just wanted to comment on the name of the dish. Rijsttafel is not a dish, it is any number of dishes put together at a family get together or special occassion. There are no rules for what dishes are included or how many, however, it is custom to include a minimum of six dishes. Rijsttafel literally means rice table. Just wanted to share that with you.