Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Simply no other way to describe this soup. Light, brothy, and fresh; with outstanding flavor. Buy all of your vegetables fresh and cut them yourself. Each vegetable should be diced roughly about the same size so the soup looks more homogenous. For the parsley, pick each leaf off the stem then gather them in a bunch and shred very finely....we're talking filament-thin. But the most important thing to remember is to save all of your vegetable scraps(except for the rutabaga, it's usually covered in wax). Sweat them and simmer in 3 qts of water for about 15 min, to make a great vegetable stock. Just remember to strain.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 cup garlic, sliced very thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, med. dice
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, med. dice
- 3⁄4 cup celery, med. dice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cups rutabagas, med. dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, med. dice
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced thick
- 3⁄4 cup green beans, trimmed, and cut in 1/2
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground fresh
- 3 cups cabbage, in 1 in. dice
- 2 cups turnip greens, blanched and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 30 ounces beef broth
- 3 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup Italian parsley, chiffonade
- 1⁄8 cup jalapeno, small dice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Heat your largest pot over medium heat. Add the oil to the pot along with the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds on it's own to get the flavor of the garlic into the oil. The Italians call this "blessing" the garlic.
- Add the carrots and celery to the pot and sweat for about 5 minutes, then add the onions and sweat for another 5. The onions dont take as long to cook. Be very mindful about not overcooking the vegetables in this soup. The main idea is to have them all cooked and done at the same time.
- Next add your rutabaga, and after another 5 minutes add the zucchini, and then the green beans.
- Add the mushrooms, herbs and seasonings to the pot approximately 5 minutes before you add liquids, greens, beans, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat down to medium-low. Add Macaroni, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add in the chiffonade parsley, diced jalapeno, and hot sauce.
- Kill the heat all together. With this much soup, you can let it sit like this, long enough to extract all the goodness out of those last couple of ingredients( about 10-15 minutes) and it will still be burn-your-mouth hot.