Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
From "The Good Carb Cookbook." Posted for safe-keeping. This recipe drastically reduces the calories and fat from a normal Reuben sandwich, while still using corned beef. I prefer mustard on mine, so eliminating the Thousand Island dressing would reduce the calories even further.
- 8 slices whole grain bread or 8 slices rye bread or 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- nonstick cooking spray, butter flavored
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free thousand island salad dressing or 1⁄3 cup light thousand island dressing
- 8 ounces thinly sliced corned beef, at least 97% lean
- 4 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained
- Spray one side of each slice of bread with the butter flavored cooking spray. Spread the other side of each bread slice with 2 teaspoons of the salad dressing.
- Place 4 slices of bread, cooking-spray side down, on a flat surface. Top each slice with 2 oz of meat, 1 oz of cheese, and 1/4 cup of drained sauerkraut. Top with the remaining bread slices, dressing side inches.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat and place the sandwiches in skillet or griddle. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.