Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a family favorite from Bon Appetit.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup asiago cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and crushed red pepper.
- Saute until shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add vodka and ignite with long match.
- Simmer until flames subside, shaking pan occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add cream and boil until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce; boil until sauce thickens and coats back of spoon, about 2 minutes.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead; chill).
- Cook pasta in pot of boiling water until tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain; reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Bring sauce to simmer.
- Add pasta, prosciutto, 1/3 cup cheese, parsley, and basil to skillet and toss to coat.
- Add reserved pasta cooking liquid if mixture is too dry.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and serve.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I have been trying to find it for a long time. I remembered the part where you ignite the vodka, but couldn't find any penne with vodka sauce recipes where that was done. Thanks again.