From Fine Cooking (July 2007).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups cooked rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 cups summer squash (cut in 3/4-inch dice)
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese (fresh, crumbled, about 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (fresh, finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated, use fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 1Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- 2While the pasta cooks, heat 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it into pieces with spatula, until it is nearly cooked. Transfer to a bowl.
- 3Drain fat from skillet, then add remaining 2-1/2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Cook the shallots until they begin to soften (a minute or so).
- 4Raise heat to medium-high and add the squash. Cook until squash is barely tender (3-5 minutes).
- 5Reserve 1/2 cup of the water in which the pasta was cooked. Return the rigatoni to the cooking pot and add the sausage, squash mixture, and 2 tablespoons of reserve pasta water. Toss over medium heat until sausage is cooked through and rigatoni is heated through. Add more pasta water as necessary to keep dish moist.
- 6Remove from heat, add goat cheese and parsley, and toss until the cheese melts and coats the pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to warm bowls, and top with Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rigatoni With Summer Squash, Spicy Sausage, & Goat Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 928.9
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 70.8 mg
- Sodium 1238.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 39.8 g