Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Fine Cooking (July 2007).
Make and share this Rigatoni With Summer Squash, Spicy Sausage, & Goat Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 8 cups cooked rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄3 cup shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 cups summer squash (cut in 3/4-inch dice)
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese (fresh, crumbled, about 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (fresh, finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated, use fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, heat 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it into pieces with spatula, until it is nearly cooked. Transfer to a bowl.
- Drain fat from skillet, then add remaining 2-1/2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Cook the shallots until they begin to soften (a minute or so).
- Raise heat to medium-high and add the squash. Cook until squash is barely tender (3-5 minutes).
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the water in which the pasta was cooked. Return the rigatoni to the cooking pot and add the sausage, squash mixture, and 2 tablespoons of reserve pasta water. Toss over medium heat until sausage is cooked through and rigatoni is heated through. Add more pasta water as necessary to keep dish moist.
- Remove from heat, add goat cheese and parsley, and toss until the cheese melts and coats the pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to warm bowls, and top with Parmesan.
Wow, this is incredible pasta. It is a nice summery dish. I sauteed the squash for a few more minutes to get it a little bit softer, and I used herbed goat cheese. The dish came out spicy, creamy from the goat cheese, and absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting!