Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from Bon Appetit magazine, June 2008. This is exactly as written in the magazine, but when I made it I used spinach instead of arugula (the market was out of arugula and my husband doesn't like it anyway). We LOVED the fresh complex flavor of this dish!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 907.18 g fresh hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 793.78 g can tomatoes with juice
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 226.79 g rigatoni pasta
- 473.18 ml fresh arugula, stemmed and packed
- 118.29 ml thinly sliced fresh basil leaf
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh oregano
- 118.29 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion; saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Add sausage; cook until browned, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Drain drippings from pot.
- Add wine, diced tomatoes with juice, and crushed tomatoes. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Can be made one day ahead up to this point: Cool and refrigerate, then reheat over medium heat before continuing.
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain.
- Stir pasta, arugula, basil and oregano into tomato sauce. Simmer until the arugula wilts, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowl or dinner plates and sprinkle with parmesan.