Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish is one of my husband's favorites and mine as well when I'm not worrying about carbs! I can't remember where I got this one - I think off the back of a box some time ago, but I ended up slightly altering it to turn up the heat a bit. With the tabasco to taste, you can make it a little spicy or a lot! It also reheats well.
- 22.18 ml butter
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 78.07 ml chopped microwaveable bacon
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage, casings removed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 396.89 g can chopped tomatoes, with or without seasonings
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, such as tabasco,to taste (optional)
- 453.59 g package rigatoni pasta
- chicken broth, as needed
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- Melt butter with oil.
- Saute onion and bay leaf until onion is transparent.
- Add bacon and sausage.
- Cook, stirring until sausage is browned.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and hot sauce and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- If sauce gets too thick or begins to dry, thin it out with the chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta per package directions.
- Drain the pasta and leave in the original pot or transfer to a large serving dish.
- Add the sauce to the pasta, sprinkle with the oregano, and toss together before serving
This took minutes to make and is so flavorful. I did not have bacon but will add that the next time I make this recipe. I added 2 tsp of Denzil's Kamakazi hot sauce. Thank-you lazy gourmet for an easy great tasting recipe