Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, finely chopped with juice reserved
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add in mushrooms; saute until they begin to give off their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, red pepper flakes, and parsley; cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the ground chuck and ½ teaspoon salt; crumble the meat with the edge of a wooden spoon to break it apart into tiny pieces.
- Cook, continuing to crumble the meat, just until it loses its raw color but has not yet browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer; simmer gently until the sauce begins to thicken, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings with extra salt to taste.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook until al dente.
- Reserve ¼ cup cooking liquid; drain the pasta and return it to the cooking pot.
- Mix in the sauce and the reserved cooking liquid if necessary.
- Serve immediately with cheese passed around at the table.