Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sounds tasty and quick and easy to make. From "Everyday Food", November 2008.
Make and share this Rigatoni With Spiced Meat Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta or 12 ounces other short pasta
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground chuck or 1 lb ground buffalo meat
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- kosher sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente; drain, and return to pot. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, cook ground meat in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cinnamon, and cayenne, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, and season again with salt and pepper. Add sauce to pot with pasta, and toss to combine.
- Serve with green salad and warm bread.
I had this recipe emailed to me from Everyday Food and liked it enough that I wanted to add it to Recipezaar then found it was already here! I used ground beef. The only change I would make is to add a bit more spice, perhaps red pepper flakes. I made a big batch and used the leftover sauce for Sloppy Joes it was so thick.