Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
In ' On Top of Spaghetti...' by Johanne Killeen and George Germon
Make and share this Rigatoni With Sausage and Ricotta recipe from Food.com.
- Remove the casings from the sausage and break up the meat into small bits in a bowl.
- Add 6 cups cold water and stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Transfer the sausage and the water in which it has been soaking to a large straight-sided saute pan.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until half the water has evaporated and the sausage is completely cooked.
- The bits of meat should be well bathed in liquid.
- Be careful not to reduce it too much.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Set aside over very low heat to keep warm.
- Generously salt the pasta water and drop in the rigatoni.
- Boil the pasta, stirring frequently, until it is al dente; drain and toss into the saute pan with the sausage mixture.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over low heat for 2 minutes to allow the pasta to absorb some of the flavor from the sausage.
- Off the heat, fold in 1/2 cup of the ricotta and a good sprinklin of pepper.
- Spoon the pasta into warmed individual bowls or a heated serving bowl.
- Dot with the remaining ricotta and serve right away with Pecorino Romano.
- Pass the peppermill at the table for a little more spice.