Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Southern Living magazine.
- 1 (16 ounce) box rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain.
- Saute onion and bell peppers in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 6 minutes. Add garlic, and saute 2 minutes. Stir in sausage, cooked pasta, chicken broth, crushed red pepper and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Transfer to a serving dish, and top evenly with basil and cheese.
- Serve immediately.