Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Just made this last night and it was wonderful! Got it from La Cucina Italiana.
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 lbs eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- freshly grated grana padano or pecorino toscano cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees with rack in the middle. Linea baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise and score flesh sides in a crosshatch pattern with a small sharp knife. Brush with 1 tablespoon of oil and season with generous pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange eggplant cut-side down on prepared baking sheet and bake, rotating pan once halfway through, until tender. About 45 to 50 minutes.
- Transfer baking sheet with roasted eggplant to wire rack. Turn eggplant halves cut-side up; let cool 5 minutes, then scrape eggplant flesh from skins; discard skins. Place flesh in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl; let drain 10 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In center of cutting board, mound parsley, pine nuts, garlic and oregano; finely chop mixture together.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add parsley mixture, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Stir in eggplant and cook 1 minute more. Remove skillet from heat.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until al dente; drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add eggplant mixture and cheese; toss to combine well. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve immediately.