Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
Was just watching TV, when Giada De Laurentiis came on and prepared this lovely looking and tasty dish. This is prepared with easy ingredients and cooks FAST! This is her answer to fast food! Update:07/25/2009 - we made this a couple days ago and we jazzed it up a bit - to begin with it was definitely lacking - so we added crushed red pepper flakes and we used some Parmesan in the food processor with the croutons! Also added more Italian Seasoning.;)
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta or 1 lb other pastas
- 3 cups garlic-flavored croutons (store bought, about 5 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (1 oz)
- 1 cup julienned roasted red pepper (store bought)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (more if needed, less if too much, original called for 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning (more if wanted)
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain pasta into a large bowl.
- Place the croutons, Italian Seasoning, and the almonds in a food processor.
- Pulse until it becomes the texture of bread crumbs.
- Add the croutons and almond mixture to the hot pasta.
- Add the peppers and olive oil(sparingly to begin with - this way you may need less which is healthier!).
- Add parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve with a mixed green salad with a nice vinaigrette and hot bread or maybe better yet garlic bread.
I thought this was quite nice, whereas my partner thought it was just okay and too dry - I did use less oil. I used penne rigati, regular croutons to which I added garlic powder, I used twice the amount of roasted peppers, sea salt & plenty of freshly cracked black pepper. I'd give it a 3.5, SO gives it 2.5. Might make again as a side dish, and try adding a good parmesan and fresh basil.