Recipe by Veghead
From the Cooking.com website as republished from "Pasta - Cooking with style".
Top Review by Babycat
Although the concept of the pumpkin bacon sauce sounded scrumptious, when I actually made the sauce it was a bit too salty for our taste. I even used low sodium bacon. I think part of the problem might have been that I included the bacon drippings in the sauce since I wasn't sure whether to discard the drippings or not. Made for My Three Chefs 2009.
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 6 1⁄2 ounces bacon, cut into dice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut pumpkin into bite-size pieces and steam until soft. Mash the pumpkin gently.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Sauté the bacon with the garlic until the bacon is crisp.
- Put the mashed pumpkin into a saucepan and gradually stir in the cream. Add the bacon and garlic mixture and the parsley and gently warm the sauce. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Stir the grated Parmesan into the drained pasta. Add the sauce and toss to mix well. Serve immediately in heated bowls.