Recipe by pedspeech
This recipe tops the rigatoni with a bechamel style sauce before broiling. Can substitute ground turkey or Italian sausage for the ground beef. I also just make this in a large casserole dish rather than individual bowls (it makes a LOT to be considered four servings).
- 3 cups dried rigatoni pasta
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup freshy grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the beef for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned all over. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, herbs and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring the mixture occasionally, until creamy and thickened.
- Add the egg yolk, cheese and seasoning, and stir until the sauce is well blended.
- Preheat the broiler. Meanwhile cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water according to the instructions on the package. Drain thoroughly and turn into a large mixing bowl. Pour the meat sauce over and toss to coat.
- Divide the pasta among four flameproof dishes. Spoon over the cheese sauce and place under the grill until brown. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh basil.