1 hr 25 mins
In ' On Top of Spaghetti...' by Johanne Killeen and George Germon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced onions
- 5 plump garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, and finely minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus a few tablespoons for the cherry tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (or other hot pepper)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup choppped celery
- 1 piece peeled fresh ginger (1-inch piece)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 -1 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried mint, crushed with your fingers
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, cut into a chiffonade
- 1 lb dried rigatoni pasta
- freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1Put the onions and garlic in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 2Saute over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, chop the hot pepper, carrots, celery, and ginger in a food processor until they are finely minced but not reduced to mush.
- 4Transfer to the saucepan and stir into the onion and garlic.
- 5Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 6Continue to saute, stirring often, until all the vegetables are soft and cooked through; 10-15 minutes more.
- 7Add the lamb, increase the heat to med-high and stir until the meat is no longer pink.
- 8Add the parsley, dried mint, and wine.
- 9Bring to a boil.
- 10Decrease heat and simmer vigorously until most of the wine has evaporated.
- 11Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- 12Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 13Toss the cherry tomatoes with the fresh mint and enough olive oil to coat them.
- 14Add salt to taste and set aside.
- 15Add a generous amount of salt to the boiling water; drop in the rigatoni and cook, stirring often, until al dente.
- 16Drain and transfer the pasta to a large, heated serving bowl.
- 17Toss with enough of the sauce to coat the pasta generously.
- 18Top with the tomatoes and serve right away with extra sauce passed at the table with the Pecorino Romano.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rigatoni With Lamb Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.7
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 479.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: