I know it's difficult to think of making your own pasta sauce when you can get one easily out of a can - but believe me - this is worth it! It's not even difficult, and so impressive, fun, colorful and filling. You can even prepare the sauce in advance and rewarm it when you're ready to cook the pasta.
- Wash, core and deseed peppers. Cut into 1-inch squares.
- Put olive oil, onion, and garlic in large pan. Saute over medium-high heat until soft, stirring often.
- Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and add it with the oregano to the saute pan. Cook until sausage browns a bit, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook about 8 minutes, stirring gently once in a while.
- Put water on to boil for pasta.
- Add salt and pepper and tomatoes to sauce. Turn heat to medium and cook at a simmer.
- Meanwhile, put rigatoni onto cook.
- After sauce has cooked 10 minutes, add balsamic vinegar. Cook another 10 minutes or so.
- Toss with pasta and serve with fresh ground pepper.