Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
Elegant enough for a dinner party, without a lot of fuss. Very similar to a pasta dish served at Chicago's Fairmont Hotel.
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola, divided
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb rigatoni pasta or 1⁄2 lb penne, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with a 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Heat oil 1n a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, 1 1/2 minutes per side, until edges are light brown. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in cream. Cook until mixture is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup Gorgonzola and Parmesan. Simmer, stirring, 1 minute more, until cheeses melt. Stir in remaining salt and pepper.
- Toss hot pasta with sauce and divide among 4 serving plates. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of Gorgonzola and parsley.
Wonderful and easy! I used whole wheat pasta adding a bit more flavor, but it really doesn't need it (whole wheat pasta to feel better about using heavy cream, on this cook's part). Served with Italian style spinach (steamed drizzled with EVVO, lemon juice, corse salt and fresh pepper) and a nice bottle of Pino Noir (that suits cream sauces). Made a week night supper a bit more special without all the work!
Have had this recipe torn out of a Ladies Home Journal recipe since December 2000 and am JUST NOW getting around to posting it-So imagine my excitement in finding it already here! One less piece of paper in my house is always a good thing!! As for the recipe itself-so good! All of my favorite flavors in one dish so I knew I would love it! This does prove that "elegant fare needn't be fussy".