Recipe by Mysterygirl
A very tasty and easy recipe...I love the mixture of flavors.
Top Review by Smokey Garguillo
I have made this recipe again and so I thought I would review it. It could be a little spicier, but I never seem to write it on my notes.
My husband is Italian and I like to make this when the eggplants are plentiful.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole tomato puree
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked according to directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant in colander and weight down with plate to drain juices.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and mushrooms, cook, stirring frequently until softened.
- Add ground beef, breaking up with spoon; cook until browned.
- Drain well, then transfer to bowl.
- Add eggplant and broth to same skillet; cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Uncover; add garlic, salt, thyme and red pepper; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and beef mixture, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Cover, simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Toss with rigatoni and parsley.