Recipe by Miss Annie
This is one of my family favorites. You will get lots of requests for this one. Feel free to exchange the cheeses with something different.
Top Review by Missyb33
This is a restaurant quality pasta dish. I stuck with the gorgonzola and fontina cheese blend because I love the flavor of both of them. The spinach and red pepper add great color to the dish. The brandy is a key ingredient mixing great with the walnuts. Next time I have company, this recipe will be tops on my list to make.
- 8 slices bacon, cut in one inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 1⁄3 cups grated Fontina cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups crumbled gorgonzola
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces,room temperature
- 8 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onion tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels and drain.
- Pour off all but 3 Tbsp.
- drippings from the pan.
- Add bell pepper and onion to the skillet and sauté until tender.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook rigatoni in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender but firm.
- Drain and immediately return pasta to the same pot.
- Add the cheeses and butter until they melt and coat the pasta.
- Add spinach and brandy and toss over medium heat until the spinach wilts.
- Gently mix in the red bell pepper mixture and the bacon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with walnuts and chives and serve immediately.