Recipe by Willam
I love Italian foods, especially those easy to prepare and freezer store. I lost a rigatoni and sweet Italian sausage dish that I liked so decided to create one of my own. I added spices such as allspice I thought would blend well.
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 -1 1⁄4 lb sweet mild Italian sausage (bulk or links with the casings removed)
- 4 slices slightly crisp bacon, chopped fine (or you may use bacon bits instead)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (if you like it hot) (optional) or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (if you like it hot) (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves (more if you like garlic)
- 2 large onions
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (to keep pasta from sticking)
- water (as needed, to keep sauce from becoming too thick)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (if needed in braising the sausage) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop vegetables fine and sauté in 1/4 cup olive oil until soft.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet braise and break sausage into small pieces.
- Add olive oil if needed to prevent sticking.
- When thoroughly browned, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato-paste, vegetables, spices, bacon bits and one-cup water.
- Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add water as needed to maintain sauce consistency.
- To cook the rigatoni: Add 1/4 cup olive oil to twice the amount of unsalted boiling water necessary to cover the rigatoni.
- Cook rigatoni al dente according to package directions (about 8-10 minutes.) When rigatoni is al dente, drain, toss with sauce and place on large serving dish.
- You also can store in twelve GLAD 8 oz containers or six GLAD 16 oz containers for freezer storage.
- The aroma of the frozen servings is even more pleasing as they reheat in a microwave oven.
- A fresh tomato salad with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing completes the meal.