Recipe by MarieRynr
The joy of this dish is that it can be made ready to bake several hours ahead, so it's perfect if you are having friends round or want to get th cooking out of the way early. It goes down a treat with childre, they invariably love the sausages and the vegetables are well hidden!!
- 14 ounces good quality pork sausage links
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 pint red wine
- 1⁄2 pint vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
For the Sauce
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 2 cups milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (500 g) package rigatoni pasta
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (1/2 lb)
- 5 ounces mature cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190*C (375*F).
- Slit the sausages and remove them from their skins, then chop them into small pieces.
- heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in the sausages and fry until lightly coloured.
- Add the carrot, then stir in the wine, stock, tomato puree, and season.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Taste and season if necessary.
- Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Stir in flour til smooth, then slowly whisk in the milk.
- Cook stirring over medium heat until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Add a good sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg, season, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in spinach, leave til just wilted, then drain all.
- Tip half the pasta into a shallow ovenproof casserole.
- Shake to level.
- Spoon over the sausage sauce, then cover with remaining pasta.
- Pour the white sauce over all and sprinkle with the grated cheddar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.