1/1 Photo of Rigatoni Sausage Bake
1 hr 10 mins
The joy of this dish is that it can be made ready to bake several hours ahead, so it's perfect if you are having friends round or want to get th cooking out of the way early. It goes down a treat with childre, they invariably love the sausages and the vegetables are well hidden!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces good quality pork sausage links
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 pint red wine
- 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
For the Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 190*C (375*F).
- 2Slit the sausages and remove them from their skins, then chop them into small pieces.
- 3heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- 4Stir in the sausages and fry until lightly coloured.
- 5Add the carrot, then stir in the wine, stock, tomato puree, and season.
- 6Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- 7Taste and season if necessary.
- 8Set aside.
- 9Melt the butter in a pan.
- 10Stir in flour til smooth, then slowly whisk in the milk.
- 11Cook stirring over medium heat until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- 12Add a good sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg, season, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- 13Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until tender.
- 14Remove from heat, stir in spinach, leave til just wilted, then drain all.
- 15Tip half the pasta into a shallow ovenproof casserole.
- 16Shake to level.
- 17Spoon over the sausage sauce, then cover with remaining pasta.
- 18Pour the white sauce over all and sprinkle with the grated cheddar.
- 19Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- 20Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rigatoni Sausage Bake
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 832.1
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 174.1 mg
- Sodium 724.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 33.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: