Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This pasta dish tastes like it is fresh from the garden
- 1⁄2 cup shelled fresh peas
- salt, for pasta
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, washed,seeded,and diced
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, blanched,skinned,seeded,and chopped
- parmesan cheese
- Simmer peas for 3 minutes in boiling water and drain.
- Cook pasta in slightly salted water until it is al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 3 T oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté garlic, scallion, carrot, and zucchini for about 5 minutes until soft but not mushy.
- Add tomato and cook another 2 minutes.
- Combine vegetable mixture, peas, and pasta.
- Serve immediately, topped with parmesan cheese.
This is a good blue print recipe-- I ended up making quite a bit of changes to make it a bit more flavorful. The vegetables added flavor, but they needed some spices to punch it up. I ended up adding a bit of chili powder and oregano and used sugar snap peas (I couldn't find the fresh shelled peas). I also served it with feta cheese instead of the parmesan. I will definitely make this again, but will include some sauteed onions and fresh lemon. I'll also save a bit of the olive oil and sautee some garlic with it to toss the finish product in. When I made it, the pasta seemed like it needed something to hold it all together. Some fresh parsley or basil on top would also be yummy.