Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My husband loves this dish. From Lidia Bastianich, one of my favorite Italian chefs. You won't have any leftovers of this dish. Great on a cold night.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup canned tomato, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cooked fresh peas or 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb cooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook until wilted.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no pink remains (about 10 minutes).
- Drain all the fat from the pan and add the mushrooms and butter and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer genly until thick (another 10 minutes).
- Add 1/4 c.
- ricotta and mix well, then add the peas and half-and-half and let cook another 5 minutes or so.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked rigatoni and mix well over low heat.
- Fold in the remaining ricotta, the parmesan cheese and serve.
We loved this!! We made it for a large crowd and it got rave reviews. It was very easy. Myhusband is still raving about it and wants me to make it again soon. LOVED IT!! Great recipe!!!
DH was seriously impressed by the smells coming from the kitchen as I made this recipe in time for 3 yr old's dinner. Picky 3yr old also enjoyed it!
Add one cup of chicken stock when you add the tomatos. I also use slightly different amounts, a pound of sausage and two 6 oz. packages of mixed mushrooms (baby bella, shiitake, and and oyster) snf I have to leave out the peas because my wife doesn't like them...