Recipe by P4
My husband loves this dish. From Lidia Bastianich, one of my favorite Italian chefs. You won't have any leftovers of this dish. Great on a cold night.
Top Review by Kimke
We loved this!! We made it for a large crowd and it got rave reviews. It was very easy. Myhusband is still raving about it and wants me to make it again soon. LOVED IT!! Great recipe!!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup canned tomato, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cooked fresh peas or 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb cooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook until wilted.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no pink remains (about 10 minutes).
- Drain all the fat from the pan and add the mushrooms and butter and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer genly until thick (another 10 minutes).
- Add 1/4 c.
- ricotta and mix well, then add the peas and half-and-half and let cook another 5 minutes or so.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked rigatoni and mix well over low heat.
- Fold in the remaining ricotta, the parmesan cheese and serve.