Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have in the recipe how to make a white sauce. It provides more than you will need. I suggest you freeze it in ice cube trays, pop them out and secure in freezer bags for future use!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- Make the white sauce first with white sauce ingredients as follows: In a 1 qt saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour until blended.
- Add the milk and chicken stock all at once, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Makes 1 cups of sauce.
- Trim the stems from the broccoli and cut it into small florets.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 qts of salted water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and boil for 2 minutes, just to bring up the color.
- Drain the broccoli and transfer to the bowl of ice wate to stop the cooking.
- Pour off any water remaining in the pot In the sam pot, bring 4 qts of fresh salted water to a boil.
- cook the rigatoni according to the package directions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta well and toss it with 1 Tbs olive oil, set aside To make the sauce, In a large skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, being careful not to let it burn.
- Remove from the ehat.
- Add the white wine to the skillet, then stir in the chicken stock.
- Return the pan to the heat and whisk in the white sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 7 minutes, or until it is reduced by half Stir in the butter, salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli, simmer the mixture for 1-2 minutes longer, or until the broccoli is heated through.
- Return the pasta to the pasta pot, add the broccoli sauce mixture and the Parmigiano-Reggiano, toss to coat well.
- Serve with extra Parmigiano-Reggiano alongside.
Out of this world!!Would you belive BOTH my kids asked for seconds!!!I couldnt belive my ears!!This was creamy and flavorful!!I had to sub beer for the wine but it was still 5 star!!I think next time I will add chicken!!Nice job Tish!!The white sauce was superb,not heavy at all!I will use this recipe over and over again!!Thanks a million!
ty tish for a great recipe. Family loved it!
Makes a mess out of the kitchen, but we liked it!