Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a delicious recipe that came from the back of the rigatoni box!
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cubed chicken
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained, chopped
- 1 (3 ounce) can French-fried onions (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350. In large skillet, over medium heat, cook celery and onion in margarine until tender. Stir in flour and boullion. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in pasta, chicken, and pimento. Spoon into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Uncover; top with French fried onions, if desired. Bake 5 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.
My family thought this recipe was delicious. I added garlic powder and black pepper to the sauce for more flavor. The fried onions on top gave it a nice flavor and crunch.
This casserole tasted ok, but didn't knock my socks off. It was a bit too dry and as a result the noodles nearest the top didn't cook as well since they weren't completely submerged in the sauce; and I did try to push them all down. I down think I'll be making this recipe again. sorry