1/3 Photos of Rievkooche or Reibekuchen (Cologne Style Potato Pancakes)
Potato pancakes (Rievkooche) a particular favorite at fairs and such. This delicious snack is so beloved, that a local song advises opening a stand on the old market if all else fails -- a testament to the snack's sure-sale appeal. The pancakes are freshly fried and eaten with applesauce as visitors stroll between attractions. The following recipe gives you a taste of why these treats are so popular. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006. I haven't made this recipe so the cooking and prep time are just guesses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure water into a large bowl and add lemon juice.
- 2Grate raw potatoes into the bowl filled with water (the lemon juice should help prevent the potatoes from turning brown). Place potatoes into cheesecloth and drain off liquid. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the potatoes, set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, beat the mashed potato with the egg, milk, and salt to form a batter. Add the grated potatoes and mix well.
- 4Using 3 tablespoons of oil for each batch, drop batter for 3 pancakes at a time into hot oil in large frying pan.
- 5When the pancakes are firm and golden brown on the bottom side, turn and brown the other side. Remove, drain on paper towels and keep warm in a preheated oven.
- 6Continue until all batter is used.
- 7Serve immediately with applesauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rievkooche or Reibekuchen (Cologne Style Potato Pancakes)
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.1
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 329.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.6 g