Rieslingspaschtéit - Meat & Wine Pie
- Finely chop the vegetables and mix them with the remaining ingredients for the filling. Leave to macerate for 48 hours.
- To prepare the pastry mix the flour, eggs, salt and water. Add the melted butter a mix into a dough. Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Roll out the pastry. Pile the filling on the pastry by forming a clump. Fold the pastry over the filling and press to close the edges. Make 2 or 3 chimneys (decorate their rims with pastry). Trace a criss-cross pattern with a fork.
- Brush with the egg yolk mixed with a little cold water. Put in the oven at medium heat for some 2 hours (until the cooking juices comes out clear). Leave to cool completely.
- To make the aspic cook the pig's trotters and ears with the mirepoix and salt in a stock pot, cover with water for some 3-4 hours.
- When cool strain and stir through the riesling. Pour this aspic through the chimneys into the pastry. Leave to cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours to allow the aspic to set.
- Slice and serve with spiced cherries.