Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Riesling poached pears are backed atop a frangipane filling (franipane is a filling made from almonds and used in all sorts of pastries). Fanning of the pears before baking creates a very attractive top for this pie. **If crust edges start to get too brown cover them with foil.** This is a pretty and tasty that I would not recommend for someone with limited baking skills to attempt. This is my version of Hannaford fresh Magazines 2008 recipe.
- pie crust, My No Roll Pie Crust 51537
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 bosc pears
- 2 1⁄2 cups riesling wine
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 lemon, slices
- 1 cup whole almond, raw
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons sweet butter, softened
- 2 eggs, large to extra large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons deduced poaching syrup, reserved for serving
- Make Laurie's My No Roll Pie Crust Recipe #51537 51537 according to directions.
- While pie shell is baking add lemon juice to water in a large bowl. Peal, halve and core pear; placing in bowl of lemon water as you go. Leave pears to sit in lemon water.
- Combine wine, 1 1/2 cups sugar and sliced lemon in large heavy saucepan and bring to boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Once the syrup boils, teduce heat and keep at a simmer.
- Drain pears and discard lemon water. Add pears to the simmering syrup. Poach for 5 minutes turn over and poach 5 more minutes. Remove pears from syrup and place on paper towels to drain.
- Let syrup continue to simmer for about 20 minutes till reduced to 1 cup, set aside to cool.
- While syrup simmers make frangipane by combining almonds with 1/4 cup of sugar in a food processor and process until very finely ground. Add flour and pulse until well combind. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixter on medium high to beat butter and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Beat in vanilla and almond extract and cooled poaching syrup. Reduce mixer speed to low, add ground almond mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spread the frangipane into the pie crust.
- Fan the pears by making 1/4 inch wide slices without cuting through top of pear and then gently pressing to creat the fan.
- Very carefuly place 7 (other 5 halves are for serving) of the pear halvs on top of the frangipane (a spatula helps to gently slide them on) with the top of the pears to the center of the pie.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until frangipane is puffed, golden and solid to the touch. **If crust edges start to get too brown cover them with foil.** Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve place place a slice of pie and a 1/2 of a pear fan (1/4 of a pear) on each plate and drizzel with syrup.