Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. This is a traditional Swiss breakfast dish. Serve with sausage, bacon, or ham. This must be prepared at least 6 hours in advance. Prep time does not include chilling time. NOTE: The original recipe has no instructions about the salt. I would add it with the cornmeal.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Oh, YUM! This is just right up my alley, for breakfast, lunch or dinner or whatever... May be a breakfast staple, but I love it, maybe because I grew up eating polenta. DH and I had it with ratatouille, and we both raved about it. To make it dairy free, I used almond milk which worked perfectly, too. The salt was added to the water/milk/oil mixture like the other reviewer did it. I will DEFINITELY make this again often. Thanks for posting!
Made for ZWT 7.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups yellow cornmeal (about 8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -6 tablespoons butter, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a pastry brush, spread the softened butter on the bottom and sides of an 8"x6" or 9"x6" shallow baking dish. Set aside.
- Place milk, water and oil in a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add cornmeal in a slow, thin stream, stirring constantly, so that liquid continues to boil as cornmeal is absorbed.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is so thick that spoon will stand unsupported in center of pan.
- Spoon into buttered dish while hot, spreading it out and smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut the chilled cornmeal into 2" squares and gently lift them out of the dish with a small metal spatula.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- Add 4 or 5 of the cornmeal cakes to the pan and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side, turning gently with a spatula.
- Repeat with remaining cakes, adding more butter if necessary.
- Serve immediately.