Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. This is a traditional Swiss breakfast dish. Serve with sausage, bacon, or ham. This must be prepared at least 6 hours in advance. Prep time does not include chilling time. NOTE: The original recipe has no instructions about the salt. I would add it with the cornmeal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a pastry brush, spread the softened butter on the bottom and sides of an 8"x6" or 9"x6" shallow baking dish. Set aside.
- 2Place milk, water and oil in a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4Add cornmeal in a slow, thin stream, stirring constantly, so that liquid continues to boil as cornmeal is absorbed.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is so thick that spoon will stand unsupported in center of pan.
- 6Spoon into buttered dish while hot, spreading it out and smoothing the top with a spatula.
- 7Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- 8Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut the chilled cornmeal into 2" squares and gently lift them out of the dish with a small metal spatula.
- 9Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- 10Add 4 or 5 of the cornmeal cakes to the pan and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side, turning gently with a spatula.
- 11Repeat with remaining cakes, adding more butter if necessary.
- 12Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Riebeles (Swiss Fried Cornmeal Cakes)
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.1
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 1788.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 9.9 g