Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
- 2⁄3 cup amaretti cookie crumbs, divided or 2⁄3 cup almond biscotti, crumbs divided
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto (or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Position oven rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°; grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 3 inch springform pan; sprinkle the bottom of the pan with 1/3 cup cookie crumbs.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the ricotta and sour cream; process until smooth.
- Add in the egg yolks and ½ cup of sugar; process until well blended.
- Add in the flour, vanilla extract, amaretto, orange zest, and salt; process until blended.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at med-high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- Gradually add in teh remaining ¼ cup sugar and beat at high speed until the whites form stiff, shiny peaks.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the whites into the ricotta mixture; then fold in the remaining whites in two more additions.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup cookie crumbs over the top.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake the cake for 35-45 minutes, until the top is browned and cracked and the center jiggles but is not liquid.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake; remove the side of the pan and cool cake until just slightly warm.
- To serve, slice cake using a thin-bladed sharp knife; store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.