Recipe by s'kat
This recipe was seen on Gale Gand's Sweet Dreams. Her recommendation is to serve it cold and chilled. I tried it that way the first time, but it begs to be served warm from the oven. You could probably use any similar, large-pitted fruit in place of nectarines.
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, heated
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 nectarines, halved lengthwise and pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
- cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
Spiced Rum Sauce
- reserved pan juices
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum or 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour the orange juice into an 8 by 8-inch pan.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, scrape the insides of the vanilla bean into the pan, reserving the outside pod.
- Place the nectarines cut side down in the pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar and lay the vanilla pod on top of the nectarines.
- Bake until the nectarines are slightly slumped and feel a little soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend the ricotta with the honey in a food processor until smooth.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Remove the nectarines from the oven, and carefully remove from pan: keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the reserved pan juices with butter and sugar: stir until smooth and melted, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to simmer (do not boil).
- Taste and adjust for flavour.
- (Can be prepared ahead- cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer again, just before serving.) To serve, turn the nectarines over and spoon the cheese filling into the cavity.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (if using) and serve immediately.
- Place 3 on each plate and drizzle the rum sauce around the stuffed nectarines.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
- [Note:for a slightly less indulgent dessert, you can skip the syrup, and simply pour the pan juices around the nectarines.