Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can omit the pastry crust to make this a low-carb dish.
- 2 cups washed dried and finely chopped spinach leaves (I've also used frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry with good results)
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom (cultivated or wild)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 pastry dough, for a 10 inch (for quiche or tart pan)
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix spinach, mushrooms and green onions in a bowl.
- Line quiche or tart pan with pastry, pressing and trimming to fit.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into pastry shell, pressing lightly with fingers to flatten evenly into crust.
- Combine ricotta, milk and eggs; stir in nutmeg, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over spinach mixture.
- Bake quiche until it is lightly browned and set, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool at least 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Serve warm or chilled.
we are big quiche fans...so I decided to make this one since it has ricotta, and I love that cheese. The texture of the prepared quiche was too fluffy, and once the spinach cooked up it let out a lot of liquid making the crust at the bottom soggy. I would not repeat this dish again.