Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This comes from the Chicago Daily Herald by chef Jason Spoor. Serve with a spring green salad topped with tomatoes.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb fresh ricotta cheese, drained if necessary
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons assorted herbs (to taste, oregano, parsley, basil, rosemary, marjoram, sage, thyme) or 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 8 -16 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed,leaves torn
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta until almost done in 4 quarts boiling, salted water.
- For a thick, creamy soup, drain some of the water, leaving about 1/2 inch water above pasta.
- Return pot to medium flame and add the drained ricotta; bring to a simmer.
- In the meantime heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and brown the garlic.
- Add desired herbs to large pot and stir well.
- Add olive oil and garlic and mix well.
- (If the soup is not hot enough, the oil will not mix.) Add the spinach leaves.
- While vigorously stirring soup, add the beaten eggs.
- Let soup simmer about 10 more minutes, stirring constantly so mixture does not stick to bottom of the pan.
- Garnish with cheese and salt& pepper to taste.