Adapted from, a recipe from Dolce Italiano. Flavor is best the next day. Dust with powdered sugar before serving if you like. I like pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream.
- 350°F (177°C).
- Place oven rack in the center position.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- In a large stand mixer bowl, cream together the butter, ricotta, and sugar, then adding eggs, one at a time, allowing each to incorporate before adding the next. Add vanilla.
- Set mixer speed to low, and gradually add the dry ingredients. Once added, allow the batter to mix for 30 seconds or so.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the batter.
- Bake the cake on the center rack for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 325°F (160°C) and bake about 25-60 minutes more, or until cake springs back from touch and has slightly pulled away from pan sides, and a toothpick comes out clean (baking time is approximate: the amount of water in the ricotta determines the baking time in the end).
- Cool the cake inside the loaf pan for 15 minutes before removing. Allow the cake to finish cooling outside the pan from then on.