Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
New for us this year, a tribute to Steve, my daughter's friend:). May be easily doubled.
Make and share this Ricotta Potato Latkes With Applesauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large potatoes, grated
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 5 large apples, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or mix of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, etc.)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Add eggs, flour, cheese, and onion.
- Add potato and season.
- In heavy saucepan add: 5 cups apples, sliced and diced, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, etc. and 1/2 cup water.
- bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- bring to room temp or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook quickly to retain flavor and shape on medium-high for 10 minutes, then lower to simmer for 10-30 minutes; simmer to low to keep warm, high for 5 minutes.
- Heat skillet.
- Add 1/4 cup latkas at a time, cook until brown on both sides, a few mins/batch, drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm, serve with applesauce.
Okay, I admit I didn't make the homemade applesauce! The latkes were great on their own. A very yummy recipe that came in handy when unexpected company came over for lunch!
Made this for a Latke party along with five other kinds of latkes. This one was the favorite
Huge hit! The ricotta helps the mixture stay together, and gives it a nice smooth taste. My kids could not get enough of these!