Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Chocolate Flavored Ricotta Pie we traditionally have on Easter and Christmas
- 3 cups ricotta cheese, well drained,i let it sit in a strainer inside a bowl,for about two hours
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate candy bars, chopped,i usually use a high quality one
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate while you make the crust.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
- Add the butter and with a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs or pea size balls.
- Add the eggs and the ice water, use just enough of the water to form the dough, and mix with your hands until a ball of dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half.
- On a floured surface, roll out one half of dough to a 12 inch round.
- Fit it into a 9 inch pie dish.
- Scoop the filling into the crust.
- Roll out second half of dough to slightly smaller round and place it on top of the filling.
- Trim the excess dough and pinch the edges to seal them.
- With a toothpick, make tiny holes all over the crust.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned.
- let the pie cool completely and cut into wedges.